Saturday, 16 May 2020

The Books & Spikes! Part-1- The Unfit Worm









“You don’t have a physique of an athlete” said the sports teacher who himself was a shorty with a big belly.

“Is there any way out?” I asked

“Yup, try out next year, train yourself well and come out for trials”
I nodded my head and went back broken. I wanted to represent my house for the upcoming sports day. Though he was right, someone who has always been in the library and into books can’t compete with all those who have years of training.

With a snail walk, I went to my room, and just like every time, my mother guessed it, something was wrong with her son.
I was in the depth of negativity when she sat next to me.

“Scored less than you expected?”
“No” I said with a voice lighter than the feather.
“She said No?” said with a smirk on her face.
“No and there’s no she, you know this” I gained my voice with some seriousness.
“Then what?”
“They say I can’t participate in 500 meters because I don’t have a good physique.”
“And is there any solution to that?”
“Yeah! Run for the next 365 days.”
“Well, if you really want to do this then go ahead, I will help you”
“How? By running with me?”
She laughed, “No, by waking you up early.”
“Umm..alright, though I love my sleep.”
“Sacrifices! They can build anything. It’s up to you now, sacrifice your dream or sacrifice your sleep. The choice is yours and your lunch is on dining.”

And that’s something I have always loved about my mother, She believes and supports every decision of mine.

It was unexpected of me but I was up before the sunrise. Geared up and went to the nearest playground. I don’t even remember when was the last time I was here but never mind, I was here and started sprinting. It all went for mere 20 mins before I was out of breath.
Hmm..a good start maybe, I thought.
Days went on and my give up time increased day by day, so did my confidence. I still have 13 months and that’s a lot I thought.
Though I had the option to join the sports club of the school and run with the sharp jawline athletes but I decided not to.
Reason?
I won’t be confident around them and their heavy training will tear my self-esteem.
The reason when somebody asks me
I can’t get up that early.
Actually, I was waking up earlier than them.
A few days later, on a Sunday night, my dad knocked my door.
“Hey are you up?”
“Yeah, just about to go to sleep.”
“I got something for you.”
I love surprises and gifts.
“What?” My eyes were shining brightly.
He handed over a rectangular box and spikes they were.
“Wow!” that was my first reaction.
“Thanks, Dad”
“I saw your dedication and thought to add to it.”
“Yeah, they look amazing!”
“Yup, I hope they will help you to perform better.”
“Of course they will.’

I was closer to my mom than dad. He was more of a father than dad but I never complained about that. Maybe because my mother was enough or maybe I understood that he is a busy man with an empire to run or maybe I got used to it. This actually never bothered me.

Whatever it was, we were not that close as my friends were to their dad.

I was happy to know that despite being so engrossed in making money, he took the time to put some efforts. On the other hand, the thought that my parents have started to expect something from me was hitting me up.

“Are they? Or maybe I am just overthinking?”

I somehow managed to put that thought aside and went to dreams. I was aware that this haunting will come up again tomorrow but I had to wake up early tomorrow as well.

I call myself an atheist but situation like these make me pray.
“Please God! No, it’s just a gift and not an expectation.”


Have anything to say? Hit the writer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why We Are Chasing A By-Product

We chase money, don’t we?  Till the last of this piece, I am going to be against it.  There’s nothing wrong with admitting it that w...